Have you ever met someone who inspired you instantly? Kim Feil, CEO of Bizhive, was at an HBA (Healthcare Businesswomen’s Association) Chicago and her stories were so captivating, it was thrilling to have her share them on the Rock Your Trade Show podcast. Kim is a 6 time Chief Marketing Officer and her journey executive leadership can give all of us key strategies to implement in our own career. Her background includes being a retailer, general manager, consultant and e-commerce leader in marketing, sales and strategy at OfficeMax, Walgreens, Sara Lee, Kimberly-Clark, Information Resources Inc., Dr Pepper/7UP and Frito-Lay, giving her a unique 360-degree multi-channel perspective.
In the interview, Kim discussed how to manage teams in times of change, how to lead and steps to take for career planning. Below are her 15 Power Tips shared in the interview:
5 Ways To Manage Teams in Times of Change
1. Create a Talented Team: Surround yourself with great people and your team will flex when you need it
2. Lead With Certainty: If you move forward with assurance your team will support you.
3. Set Expectations Regularly: In a fast paced environment, you may need to adjust direction and it is important that everyone sees the path and what is needed to get to the destination.
4. Promote Collaboration: Allow your high performing teams to work together so that decisions can be made quickly. There are no surprises when expectations are understood.
5. Be Responsive: It is important to communicate promptly so there are no surprises.
5 Tips To Help You Stand Out As A Leader
1. Be Authentic: Face time, long hours at the office isn’t a sign of a great leader. You have to Be a leader to be seen as one.
2. Communicate Your Vision: Great leaders need to be able to express a solid, simple vision and objectives that are easily understood.
3. Engage Your Team: They will support you if they understand your vision and feel a part of the overall plan.
4. Get Results: While you may be well liked at your work, if you don’t meet your numbers, it won’t matter.
5. Actions Speak Louder Than Words: In the end, you are judged not by what you do but how you do it.
5 Career Strategies You Can Implement Now
1. Look Ahead and Around You: Anticipate where the business is going, if you see there is an opportunity in another function raise your hand. Step back and connect your capabilities to that function. Focus on what you like about the role and not if you have all the boxes checked.
2. You Choose Your Destiny: Your career is yours, if you want to go from here to there don’t wait for people to let you do it, take action!
3. Remove Barriers: The thing to remember is you are in the driver seat of your career path.
4. You are in A Marathon: Remember that sprints prepare for the big race and that if you focus on the long vision, will get you to where you are going.
5. Avoid Perfection: It is more important to be 85%-90% complete and be able to respond quickly than to be 107% right and be late.
A special thanks to Kim Feil for sharing so many actionable tips. She is celebrating her third year as CEO of Bizhive, a dynamic online marketplace that matches small business owners to best-in-class business service suppliers and connects them to companies who want to reach and serve these same customers.
If you like this topic and want to find like-minded marketers join Rock Your Trade Show LinkedIn group and find tips inspirational ideas.