Ria Story shares her journey from an incredibly abusive home to becoming a motivational speaker, author and expert on Women’s Leadership in this podcast interview. She shares how “it’s not what happens to you that matters most. It’s who you become because of it.” Ria has the mindset of “I am going to figure it out one step at a time”. When she became a motivational speaker, Les Brown encouraged her to realize: “you have a story to tell and someone needs to tell that story.” In this episode you will get ways to be resilient, how to be prepared for change and why “nothing fails like success”. Try one of Ria’s 4 actions today!
“The two greatest days are the day you are born and the day you discover your why”-Mark Twain
In her TEDx talk, Ria shares the acronym RISE and what it represents. “Every single one of goes through adversity. We are going to experience problems and pain. How to respond to adversity is what is important.
How to Be Resilient:
- Be consistent with your actions. When you are going through a difficult situation-I know I should get up but I don’t feel like it. There are going to be days when you don’t feel like being positive. Commit to telling yourself ‘I am going to do the things that are going to change my mindset.’
- Make a list. Figure out 3-5 things that helps you feel better. It can be exercise, listening to music, taking a hot bath for example.
- Create Pre-Traumatic growth. Think about what would happen if we can grow ourselves and be prepared in advance for times we will experience adversity. What we can grow before we get to hardship.
What to Do In Times of Change:
- We all love change if it is our idea-but we don’t like it if it is someone else’s idea. It has to do with fear. We have fear of the unknown, loss of control or we won’t like a new situation.”
- “Nothing fails like success”. It is human nature to keep doing what works and keep doing that and get complacent.
Actions to do Today:
- Be disciplined about our behaviors. Even when we don’t feel like doing something.
- Learn something new every day. Commit to 5 minutes. Set small goals they are easier to keep.
- Keep commitments we make to ourselves. It builds personal integrity with ourselves
- Be of service to someone else. Take small actions to lift up someone else it will make you feel better.
As always, if I can be of any help in your journey, reach out to me, I love to provide support in your journey!
Podcast: Fearfully and Wonderfully Me
LinkedIn Ria Story