Are looking for ways you can expand your industry knowledge and leadership experience? Jeannie Wert, Director of Exhibit Management, shares how she has gained industry expertise and is able to provide valuable insights to her team and company from her involvement in HCEA and now she serves as President of the association in this interview, Jeannie shares how valuable it is to be well versed in both PhRMA and Medical Technology in order to provide industry knowledge to internal stakeholders. Listen and find out how valuable joining a board and taking on a leadership role can be for your career.
Five Ways Associations Will Boost your Career:
- Greater visibility within your organization. Joining an association can give you early access to information that can be shared with your team and organization and senior management will take notice.
- Gain experiential leadership. Often in our careers we don’t always get the on-the-job training that we would like and volunteering for a role with responsibilities will benefit not only your career but also your organization.
- Improved internal communication. Team members will appreciate the information you share with them and in turn be able to deliver results in a positive way.
- Personal Advisory Board. When you are part of an outside organization, your network opens up and you have access to people in the industry who can help you with advice, or even show floor support when you need to “phone a friend”.
- Find a Mentor. When you are part of a community, you can connect with experienced experts who can provide career advice.
If you are in healthcare, joining an organization like HCEA or Healthcare Businesswomen’s Association (HBA) will help you to find “your people” who understand the challenges you face in your day -to-day role. For more information on how you can take on a leadership role, reach out to me, I would be happy to help.
Favorite Tip: Read trade publication information on LinkedIn and Twitter once a day and once a week. Everything that happens in healthcare is evolving so quickly.
Thanks to Jeannie for taking time to be on the show. Here are places you can find her: