One of the most common challenges people have is knowing how to communicate your personal brand. Robyn Sayles was interviewed for episode 008 of the Rock Your Trade Show Podcast and shares incredible insights that you can implement right away. If you get stuck knowing what to say when people ask-“so tell me what you do” then these tips are for you!
Robyn shared in the interview how Sally Hogshead developed a scientific method called the Fascination Advantage to communicate personal branding in her book How the world sees you. Hogshead discovered why we become irrationally obsessed with certain brands and created an algorithm to accurately determine how each person communicates. You can find out how your communication style by taking this fast test.
Once you understand how your strengths, the next step is to create your message. In a world where communication is lightning fast you really only have less than 9 seconds to tell someone what you do and so once you have someone to talk with you, your message has to be concise.
Your Personal Brand: Answer These 3 Questions
- Who are you?Describe what it is you do-for example Robyn statement is “I help people be fascinating”.
- Describe how you add value. What makes the way you approach a situation, challenge and solution unique.
- Demonstrate how you are different. Stay true to your personality don’t try to portray yourself as someone other than yourself. Being authentic is an important way you can really stand out.
Power Tip: Practice your personal brand statement in your car and in front of a mirror.
Remember that in order to be short and concise you need to keep it simple, stay focused and explain your advantage. Look at examples of people who tell a story in a really short time frame. Movie trailers and Twitter are good places to find inspiration on how to say a message that is captivating and to the point.
Now that you have clarity on your personal brand statement, you need to know how to use it effectively. One of the best places to take your personal branding on a test run is at a networking event. If you aren’t sure where to start try out the suggestions below.
4 Result Driven Networking Strategies:
- Before you go to a networking event, set a goal. For example “I need to meet these type of people.”
- Next, be specific and make the goal quantifiable. “I need to meet 5 people today.”
- Determine your ideal person that you want to meet. If you could meet the perfect person who would help you in your business, who would that be?
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help.There are people at networking events who like to make connections. Find them and let them know-this is what I do and I would love to talk with other people that do this work.
Power Tip: When you arrive at the registration desk, ask them to help make an introduction.
Remember, that regardless of where you are-your personal brand should be consistent in all areas of your life. The more your personal brand is the same everywhere you are-the more successful you will be. If you are authentic, it will translate into making people want to hear what you have to say.
If you want to find like-minded people join our LinkedIn Group where marketers and industry insiders share ideas, best practices and tips that you can use today.