Have you ever thought about how taking on a volunteer role can help more than your career? In this interview with Ruth Martin, shares her “why” for volunteering and the many benefits of leading the programs and events committee for the Chicago Healthcare Businesswomen’s Association (HBA) board. Find out what it is like to lead a large team of volunteers and what happens when an introvert is asked to step outside their comfort zone and gain experiential leadership. As you look at the New Year and what you want to achieve, consider how volunteering may be exactly what you need to take your personal life and your career to the next level.
- Choose the Right Activity. Think about an area in your career or personal life that you would like to expand experience in-whether it is expanding your circle of friends or learning a new skill.
- Find the Right Organization. Some of the things to consider are the programs, location of events and members. If you are looking to network up and need to find mentors or help selecting a sponsor, make sure the organization has the right mix of people to help you reach your objectives.
- Schedule Volunteer Time. In our busy world, scheduling the amount of time you can commit to a volunteer role will help you stay on track for completing the role.
- Stay Engaged. Even if you don’t have time to volunteer in one particular month, staying connected with your committee is important to fostering relationships and ensuring that you have opportunities to volunteer for a role in the future.
- Keep Filling up Your Cup. One of the hidden benefits of volunteering is the sense of euphoria you feel when you do something for others. It has been called the “helpers high” and has been proven to increase our overall sense of wellbeing.
If you want to learn more about volunteering, listen to the full episode and find ideas on what might spark you to try volunteering. As we head into the new year, if you have questions about how you can get involved, volunteer and expand your personal network, reach out to me, I would love to help connect with you!
Expressing my personal gratitude to all the friends and leaders from the Healthcare Businesswomen’s Association (HBA) who have been guests on the show! Your leadership, experience and insights help empower our listeners to take action and achieve personal and professional success.